Drupal 8 Woes

In looking at the scope of the project to upgrade TRC to Drupal 8, I realize I need a smaller project to wet my feet first.  The conversion is going to take a lot of time and work, so I want to get a bit familiar with what needs to get done.

I decided to start by upgrading the Town of Bradford website.  It also runs on Drupal 7, as it was created using TRC as a template.  It is my only other active Drupal site, and it is quite small in comparison to TRC.  It should make for a good test run to get familiar with.

I started working on it this afternoon, and it already is still more work than I was hoping for.  No custom blocks will migrate over, which means they all need to be redone manually.  This isn’t such a huge deal with Bradford, but there are over 100 blocks on TRC and I am NOT looking forward to rebuilding them all.

The pages and “content” of the site (articles, documents, etc) all migrated nicely.  I just need to rebuild most of the pages and views.  This means that a large chunk of TRC might import properly, with a few hurdles to jump over.  The biggest challenge so far is going to be rebuilding all the blocks by hand.

Sigh.

Facebook Comments